It’s a big event here in Minnesota, and why wouldn’t it be? It involves ice skating, ice, and utilizes this frigid weather that we’ve been “blessed” with. If you’ve never been to Red Bull Crashed Ice, it’s a large, steep ice track that brave skates plunge down. It might sound easier than it is, because it essentially looks like a death trap. And not only that, they don’t go alone; skaters go in groups so they’ve got competition as well.
Here’s a video from previous Red Bull Crashed Ice events:
Anyways, in case you needed some plans this weekend, Red Bull Crashed Ice (and its official street party) will be returning! And you can check out the Crashed Ice Village which takes place on West 7th from Walnut Street to Kellogg Boulevard (Saint Paul)
Event Date: January 20, 2018 from 4:00PM to 11:00PM
This year’s village includes DJ’s at Burger Moe’s Cossetta’s McGovern’s, New Bohemia, Seventh Street Truck Park and Tom Reid’s Hockey City Pub.
Crashed Ice Village activities include:
- fire baskets
- a mechanical bull
- outdoor food and beverage
- a 300-square-foot snowboard activation by Afton Alps athletes (Snow for the Afton Alps snowboard activation will be dumped on the street on West 7th at noon on Saturday, Jan. 20.)
Driving & Road Closures:
West 7th Street will close from Chestnut Street to Kellogg Boulevard at noon Saturday, and Walnut to Kellogg Boulevard will be closed beginning at 2 p.m. until after the street party ends.
For Jan. 20, Metro Transit has partnered with Red Bull to offer a printable pass, good for free rides from noon to 1 a.m. for the Crashed Ice events! They are available for download here!
More January 20th Activities
There are a LOT of other activities going on around the Twin Cities this weekend too, here are some other things to check out while you’re in the St. Paul area:
- 10:00 a.m. — Minnesota Sportsmen’s Show opens | Saint Paul RiverCentre
- 4:00 p.m. — Red Bull Crashed Ice Village opens to the public | West 7th Street
- 6:00 p.m. — Gates open for Red Bull Crashed Ice Championships | Cathedral of Saint Paul
- 8:00 p.m. — Hockey Day Minnesota: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Minnesota Wild | Xcel Energy Center
- 8:00 p.m. — Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra | Ordway Concert Hall
- 8:05 p.m. — Red Bull Crashed Ice National Anthem & Fireworks| Cathedral of Saint Paul
- 8:10 p.m. — Crashed Ice main event begins | Cathedral of Saint Paul
- 9:00 p.m. — Crashed Ice women’s finals | Cathedral of Saint Paul
- 9:00 p.m. — Minnesota Sportsmen’s Show closes | Saint Paul RiverCentre
- 9:15 p.m. — Crashed Ice men’s finals | Cathedral of Saint Paul
- 9:30 p.m. — Crashed Ice awards ceremony | Cathedral of Saint Paul
- 10:00 p.m. — Crashed Ice competition ends | Cathedral of Saint Paul
- 11:00 p.m. – Crashed Ice Village Street Party ends | Cathedral of Saint Paul
Go to the Visit St. Paul Website all the info, map, participating bars and restaurants, and more on the Crashed Ice Village.
I’m hoping we can go check it out for a little bit. It sounds like the weather is going to be beautiful for this weekend, so it would definitely be enjoyable to be outside (for once!)
Maybe I’ll see you there!