I recently received an email with some fun family events coming up this winter for families to attend at Union Depot (downtown St. Paul), they’re calling it the “Hub for the Holidays”. I wanted to share these opportunities with you guys because if you’re anything like me, you are probably always looking for fun family things to do around the holidays. Here’s what they’re putting on this winter:
- Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony: December 2 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; guests will enjoy a live musical performance by Six Appeal, a six-person acapella group; the ceremonial lighting of the Union Depot Holiday Tree at 7:15 p.m., and fireworks.
- Free Holiday Movie Nights: December 2 – 3 at 7:30 p.m.; Union Depot will be THE place to enjoy free family-themed holiday movies. The hilarious and popular Elf will play on December 2 with the family classic Polar Express showing on December 3.
- European Christmas Market: December 1 – 4, and 8 – 11; inspired by the success of its inaugural year at Union Depot, the market will expand to include Thursday and more than double the number of vendors in this year’s event. The market is based on the traditional, charming, and festive open air Christkindlmarkts that spring up in Germany, Austria and other countries during the Advent season.
- Canadian Pacific Holiday Train: December 9; the brightly lit Canadian Pacific Holiday Train will once again roll in to Union Depot to light up the winter night. The event will include music by performers to be announced in mid-October.
- Holiday Bake Sale: On December 10 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. the 4th Annual Holiday Bake Sale at Union Depot, featuring the top Twin Cities bakeries, will open for a day of cookie and candy shopping. Admission for adults 60+ and kids under 12 is free. Tickets will be available on-line and at the door. The popular Lowertown Pop preview event will return to Union Depot during the Bake Sale, to highlight some of the local makers who will participate in the full event in the spring of 2017. This is a special chance to shop 10 featured Lowertown Pop makers at the Holiday Bake Sale.
- North Pole Express Train Rides: Back by popular demand, families will have the opportunity to ride a train with Santa, see his village and elves at work, then return to Union Depot for refreshments. Check out The Friends of the 261 website or Facebook page for times and ticketing.